St Mary Magdalen Church at Coldean is one of two churches in the Parish of Moulsecoomb which was formed in 1931. The larger church St Andrews at Moulsecoomb was built in 1933-34. There is also a church at Lower Bevendean, which is being developed as the Holy Nativity Community Centre.
The Church at Coldean is a converted Tithe barn, originally built about 1800 and converted to a church in 1955 with the dedication taking place on 20 December 1955.
The southern end of the Coldean estate was built in the 1930’s. Building stopped in 1939 and re-started in the 1950’s with the building of the school and many more houses.
A Sunday school was held in the school in January 1953 and this started the development of the church in Coldean with the first priest appointed to Coldean taking services in the school. The Bishop of Lewes held a confirmation service in the school hall in 1953.
Rev'd Betsy Gray-Hammond
DCC Secretary: Jennifer Goatley
Hall Secretary: Sue Docherty
Hall Caretaker: Erica Verrall
Website Editor: James Morton